Mahakaleshwar Jyotirlinga is one of the most famous Hindu temples dedicated to Lord Shiva and amongst the most powerful of the 12 Jyotirlingams, the most sacred abodes of Lord Shiva. It is located in the ancient city of Ujjain in the state of Madhya Pradesh.
- The idol of Mahakaleshwar is known to be dakshinamurti (south facing). This is a unique feature, upheld by the tantric Shivnetra tradition to be found only in Mahakaleshwar among the 12 Jyotirlingas.
- Lord Shiva's form in this temple is so empathetic, benevolent and easy to please that devotees are sure to be granted the boons they wish for with a pure heart.
- One of the most important rituals of Mahakaleshwar is Bhasma Aarti. The temple opens in Brahma Muhurta with a special aarti – the one of its kind Bhasma Aarti – where the aarti is performed with sacred ash – Bhasma. Since ancient times, this bhasma used to be the fresh and burning hot ash from a funeral pyre, since Lord Shiva is believed to live in and enjoy the atmosphere of a cremation ground.
- The shrine is revered as one of the 18 Maha Shakti Peetha.The upper lip of Maa Sati is said to have fallen here and the energy is called as Mahakali.
- The Shivling here is the largest among all other Jyotirlings.
- Lord Shiva is the king of the city. Till today, if some state head or some person from any king's dynasty comes to Ujjian, he will not stay in Ujjain for night. The reason is quite simple, because Mahakal is the king and no other king can stay in his territory.
Legend : As per the Shiva Purana, Lord Brahma and Lord Vishnu once had an argument over who was supreme in the creation. To test them, Shiva pierced the three worlds as an endless pillar of light, the jyotirlinga. Lord Vishnu and Lord Brahma decide to travel along the pillar downwards and upwards respectively, to find the end of the light. Brahma lied that he had found the end, while Vishnu conceded his defeat. Shiva appeared as a second pillar of light and cursed Brahma that he would have no place in ceremonies while Vishnu would be worshipped till the end of eternity. The jyotirlinga is the supreme partless reality, out of which Shiva partly appears. The jyotirlinga shrines, thus are places where Shiva appeared as a fiery column of light. Each of the twelve jyotirlinga sites take the name of the presiding deity - each considered different manifestation of Shiva. At all these sites, the primary image is lingam representing the beginningless and endless Stambha pillar, symbolizing the infinite nature of Shiva.
The greatness of Shiva is described in this Shiva Purana, thus:
“shmashAneshhvAkrIDA smarahara pishAchAH sahacharaaH
chitAbhasmAlepaH sragapi nR^ikaroTI parikaraH |
amaN^galyaM shIlaM tava bhavatu nAmaivamakhilaM
tathApi smartR^INAM varada paramaM maN^galamasi || ”.
- Shiva is auspicious and beautiful. Avanti Nagar (Mahakaleshwar) is Shiva’s favorite town. Those who visit the Mahakal temple and take a darshan, will never be touched by sorrows even in their dreams. Those who pray for whatever they desire to the Mahakal JyotirLinga would be granted all his/her wishes. They would attain salvation.
- Lord Shiva had declared that people who worship Him in this form would be free from the fear of death and diseases. Also, they would be granted worldly treasures and be under the protection of the Lord himself.
Puja services offered at Mahakal temple:
- Rudrabhishek Rudra Patha: 11 Avartans of Rudra Paath would be done in your name.
- Bhanga Shringar: The Jyotirlingam would be decorated with Bhang, dry fruits, fresh flower garlands and several sweets in your name.
- Laghu Rudra Abhishek: 121 recitations of Namakam and 11 recitations of Chamakam would be done in your name.
- Maha Rudra Abhishek : 1311 recitations of Namakam and 121 recitations of Chamakan would be done by 11 temple priests in your name.
- Brahmin Bhojan: Food would be offered to 21 temple priests in your name.
- Mahamrityunjay Jaap (1.25 Lakh chants) & Havan: 125,000 chants of Mahamrityunjaya mantra would be performed by 42 temple priests in your name followed by Homam.
The temple priests will perform Puja as per vedic rituals based on birth details. Please mention your birth details (name, date, time, and place of birth), & Sankalp (your wish) at checkout. This is an individual Puja (you may book puja only on your name or include your near/dear ones in your puja).
Eshwar Bhakti is not a temple representative. We offer puja services on your behalf at the temple. The fees includes arrangements for the puja, dakshina, prasada, photography, travelling charges and other miscellaneous costs including courier, payment collection, and government taxes.
Performing your puja ritual with love and utmost care is our motto. We perform only Individual Personalized rituals. No group rituals. Here are the key steps to help you understand the process:
You add a ritual to your shopping cart, after reading the benefits and based on your concerns.
At the time of booking your ritual(s), you are asked to provide your "Name, birth details, Sankalpa and instructions" on the shopping cart page. You can also mention your Gotra, Nakshatra and Rashi details there (if you know).
Immediately after the receipt of your order, we start identifying the most auspicious date and time to perform the ritual.
An email is sent to you within 12 hours of order confirmation, which would comprise:
1. Date on which your puja would be performed.
2. Complete timings and duration of your ritual.
3. Sankalpa time: When you can call and take the Sankalpa with the priest.
4. Phone number to call for Sankalpa.
5. Mantra and meditation instructions to follow at your end.
6. Deitary precautions on the day of your puja.
7. List of some easy to get items, to take the Sankalpa (optional).
You can also email us your photo, at email@example.com, to keep during the performance of the puja (optional).
On the scheduled day and time, you can call us for the Sankalpa (optional). You will be guided to take the Sankalpa.
Immediately after the successful completion of your ritual, an email is sent with photos/videos of the ritual.
In case of rituals lasting over several days, you will receive daily update via email/sms/whatsapp (as applicable).
Have more queries, read Frequently Asked Questions.