Mahakaleshwar Jyotirlinga is one of the most famous Hindu temples dedicated to Lord Shiva and amongst the most powerful of the 12 Jyotirlingams, the most sacred abodes of Lord Shiva. It is located in the ancient city of Ujjain in the state of Madhya Pradesh.
- The idol of Mahakaleshwar is known to be dakshinamurti (south facing). This is a unique feature, upheld by the tantric Shivnetra tradition to be found only in Mahakaleshwar among the 12 Jyotirlingas.
- Lord Shiva's form in this temple is so empathetic, benevolent and easy to please that devotees are sure to be granted the boons they wish for with a pure heart.
- One of the most important rituals of Mahakaleshwar is Bhasma Aarti. The temple opens in Brahma Muhurta with a special aarti – the one of its kind Bhasma Aarti – where the aarti is performed with sacred ash – Bhasma. Since ancient times, this bhasma used to be the fresh and burning hot ash from a funeral pyre, since Lord Shiva is believed to live in and enjoy the atmosphere of a cremation ground.
- The shrine is revered as one of the 18 Maha Shakti Peetha.The upper lip of Maa Sati is said to have fallen here and the energy is called as Mahakali.
- The Shivling here is the largest among all other Jyotirlings.
- Lord Shiva is the king of the city. Till today, if some state head or some person from any king's dynasty comes to Ujjian, he will not stay in Ujjain for night. The reason is quite simple, because Mahakal is the king and no other king can stay in his territory.
Legend : As per the Shiva Purana, Lord Brahma and Lord Vishnu once had an argument over who was supreme in the creation. To test them, Shiva pierced the three worlds as an endless pillar of light, the jyotirlinga. Lord Vishnu and Lord Brahma decide to travel along the pillar downwards and upwards respectively, to find the end of the light. Brahma lied that he had found the end, while Vishnu conceded his defeat. Shiva appeared as a second pillar of light and cursed Brahma that he would have no place in ceremonies while Vishnu would be worshipped till the end of eternity. The jyotirlinga is the supreme partless reality, out of which Shiva partly appears. The jyotirlinga shrines, thus are places where Shiva appeared as a fiery column of light. Each of the twelve jyotirlinga sites take the name of the presiding deity - each considered different manifestation of Shiva. At all these sites, the primary image is lingam representing the beginningless and endless Stambha pillar, symbolizing the infinite nature of Shiva.
The greatness of Shiva is described in this Shiva Purana, thus:
“shmashAneshhvAkrIDA smarahara pishAchAH sahacharaaH
chitAbhasmAlepaH sragapi nR^ikaroTI parikaraH |
amaN^galyaM shIlaM tava bhavatu nAmaivamakhilaM
tathApi smartR^INAM varada paramaM maN^galamasi || ”.
- Shiva is auspicious and beautiful. Avanti Nagar (Mahakaleshwar) is Shiva’s favorite town. Those who visit the Mahakal temple and take a darshan, will never be touched by sorrows even in their dreams. Those who pray for whatever they desire to the Mahakal JyotirLinga would be granted all his/her wishes. They would attain salvation.
- Lord Shiva had declared that people who worship Him in this form would be free from the fear of death and diseases. Also, they would be granted worldly treasures and be under the protection of the Lord himself.
Puja services offered at Mahakal temple:
- Rudrabhishek Rudra Patha: 11 Avartans of Rudra Paath would be done in your name.
- Bhanga Shringar: The Jyotirlingam would be decorated with Bhang, dry fruits, fresh flower garlands and several sweets in your name.
- Laghu Rudra Abhishek: 121 recitations of Namakam and 11 recitations of Chamakam would be done in your name.
- Maha Rudra Abhishek : 1311 recitations of Namakam and 121 recitations of Chamakan would be done by 11 temple priests in your name.
- Brahmin Bhojan: Food would be offered to 21 temple priests in your name.
- Mahamrityunjay Jaap (1.25 Lakh chants) & Havan: 125,000 chants of Mahamrityunjaya mantra would be performed by 42 temple priests in your name followed by Homam.
The temple priests will perform Puja as per vedic rituals based on birth details. Please mention your birth details (name, date, place, time), & Sankalp (your wish) at checkout. This is a individual Puja (you may do puja on individual name or include your near and dear ones in the puja). Know more about our exclusive Puja Services.
Eshwar Bhakti is not a temple representative. We offer puja services on your behalf at the temple. The fees includes arrangements for the puja, dakshina, prasada, photography, travelling charges and other miscellaneous costs including courier, payment collection, and government taxes.
It was very wonderful 9 days - really overwhelming at times. I really appreciate all the efforts that you put in to this. Please pay my regards to Maa Baglamukhi and PanditJi as well.Sourabh K., USA All Testimonials
Beyond belief grateful
Please accept my warm obeisances. I am beyond belief grateful and wanted you to know this. I wish Krishna and Radha to be always by your side and for you to receive all their blessings, without reservation.Oksana , Russia All Testimonials
Cherry on top of cake
I feel satisfied and content with the services offered and photos sent are like cherry on top of cake. Personally I have a great feeling that the holy cows were fed with love, care and dignity.Sidhaartha Chauhaan, UK All Testimonials