India, a multi-cultural country celebrates many festivals and rituals in a year. Specifically, when it comes to Hinduism we observe fasts and worship many gods and goddesses and each of them is dedicated to a specific day of the week. Like every Monday, worshippers chant to Lord Shiva and keep fast while Tuesday are for Lord Hanuman who is considered as an incarnation of Lord Shiva (the eleventh avatar of Rudra), who came to serve Lord Rama, an incarnation of Lord Vishnu. Mangalwar (Tuesday) is considered the birthday of Lord Hanuman, therefore, devotees celebrates this day to get blessings and to fulfil their desires.
Astrologically the deity of Mangalvar Vrat is Mangal (Red Planet-Mars). When this planet is located in the right place in a horoscop, the native develops qualities like- aggressiveness, daring, energetic, determination, passion, competence, stamina, drive, fearlessness, etc. Observing the Tuesday fast is considered auspicious and it brings good luck and success to one’s life.
When to perform: A devotee can start Mangalwar Vrat from the first Tuesday of bright half of lunar month when Sun is in Uttarayana (from 15th January to 15th June) and continue for 21 weeks. It is believed that by doing Mangalwar Vrat continuously for 21 weeks one gets rid of all Mars related problems typically physical, natural, and economic troubles.
Tuesday Fast Vidhi (Procedure): The procedure is simple for Mangalvar Vrat or Tuesday fasting which begins right from early in the morning and concludes in the evening. As per Hindu mythology, observing fast for 21 consecutive Tuesdays bestows positive results to a devotee.
Wake-up early in the morning and take a bath before sunrise.
• Wear clean clothes and if possible, wear red clothes on this day.
• Sprinkle some holy Ganga water inside the puja room to purify the atmosphere then place the idol or the image of Lord Ganesh and Lord Hanuman in a suitable place.
• Light a lamp with cow ghee and offer sindoor (red vermillion), betel leaf garland, red flowers or garland of red flowers, and red new cloth.
• Offer ladoos made from besan (gram flour) and different kinds of fruits as prasad.
• Sit comfortably in front of the idol and begin the puja, worshipping Lord Ganesh followed by Lord Hanuman and Mangalvar Vrat Katha.
• Lord Hanuman is the greatest devotee of Lord Rama, and it is believed that prayer to Lord Rama or reading the Sundarakanda chapter of Ramayana is the simplest way to please Lord Hanuman and to receive His divine blessings.
• Offer flowers and aarti at the end to conclude the puja. After completion of this puja, distribute the Prasada (whatever offering- bhog/prasad) to your family members.
• If it is not possible for a devotee to observe a full day fast then he/she can eat the prasad along with some food made of wheat and jaggery (cane sugar) without adding any salt.
• Stories from Hindu mythology describes donating food to a hungry and clothes to a need on this pious day helps in speedy spiritual growth.
• Worship and continue the above procedure for 21 successive Tuesdays to get fruitful results.
Mantra to chant during Mangalvar Vrat:
Mantra to praise Mars God– Om Bhaumaya Namah
Mantras to Praise Lord Hanuman:
Om Hanumate Namah॥
Hanuman Gayatri Mantra:
Om Anjaneyaya Vidmahe
Tanno Hanumat Prachodayat॥
The Hanuman Beeja mantra:
Aum Aeem Bhreem Hanumate Shree Ram Dootaaya Namaha
Significance of Tuesday Fast:
• Observing Vrat, on Tuesday, is considered very auspicious. A person with weak, malefic Mars in horoscope should observe the Tuesday fast/ Mangalvar Vrat for a peaceful and bright life.
• Worshiping Lord Hanuman on this auspicious day brings wealth, health, strength, courage, prosperity, happiness.
• Stories from Hindu Puranas advocate that Tuesday fast of Lord Hanuman is believed to be the simplest way to seek divine blessings of God to get a progeny.
• It is believed that fasting on Tuesday helps to reduce the Mangal Dosha (Manglik) with the grace of Lord Hanuman.
• Children should observe the Tuesday fast as it will increase their stamina, courage, peace of mind, memory power, good health, and positive energy.
• ‘Fasting’ refers to abstaining from food or certain kind of foods with faith towards the almighty and to purify both your external and internal impurities. A day of complete fast or a little food made of wheat and jaggery improves the metabolic rate and vitality.
Mangalvar Vrat Katha (story): Long ago, there was a Brahmin couple who used to live in a remote village. Since they didn't have any child, the lady started observing 21 successive Tuesday fasts to please the merciful Lord Hanuman. One day, the husband left to a nearby city for few months, and the lady stayed home and prayed to Lord Hanuman earnestly.
After 21 Tuesdays, Lord Hanuman blessed her with a boy child due to her dedication and devotion. After a few months, when the husband returned to his home, he doubted the fidelity of his wife when he saw the son playing in her lap.
The husband suspected his wife of adultery and even tried to kill the baby. The wife said that her son is a blessing of Lord Hanuman, the husband didn’t believe her at all. That night the compassionate Lord Hanuman came to her rescue and told the entire story to the husband in his dreams.
Finally, the next morning, Brahmin realized his mistake, sought an apology, and accepted both the wife and the son with love and respect. From then on, Hindu devotees started observing Mangalvar Vrat or Hanuman Vrat to get desired blessings.
Summary: Offering your sincere prayers with the deepest faith to a particular deity and the planetary god on His or Her special weekday is the best way to receive their graceful blessings. Tuesday represents the powerful planet Mars, which represents qualities like courage, success, vitality, and power. Tuesday is also dedicated to Lord Hanuman.
Celebrating Tuesday fast and worshiping the monkey God Hanuman fulfils all the desire of a devotee, removes the afflictions caused by Mars, develops strength and virility to live a happy and successful life.
I want to start mangalvaar vart fist time when is good time or months to start first vart please suggest idea