Kaal Sarp Dosha is also known as Kaal Sarp Yoga, a dreaded combination of planets that can make one’s life miserable. According to astrologer, Kaal Sarp Dosha is formed in a horoscope/kundali when all seven planets (Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus, Jupiter, Saturn, and Mars) are situated between Rahu and Ketu (the demon Rahu lying axially in opposite directions and dividing the zodiac into two equal parts). The word 'Kaal' means death and Sarpa means snake and the name itself is sufficient to scare people. It is believed that a person born under Kaal Sarp Dosha lives a difficult life. If the birth chart forms a complete Kaal Sarp Yoga then it will cancel out all the good Yoga’s of that chart and make the native’s life extremely difficult.
However, Kaal Sarp Dosha can be formed in any person’s horoscope and it is not necessary that every person who has Kaal Sarp Dosha in their Kundali is unlucky. Anyone like a king, president, prime-minister, man, woman, poor, etc. may have Kaal Sarp Yoga in their horoscope. But in spiteof all kinds of facilities, power, and position, they will always suffer from some tension, fear, & insecurity in their life, just like a person who has been bitten by a snake and cannot sit comfortably. Astrologically it is believed that Kaal Sarp Dosha is more dangerous than other malefic yoga, and this dosha affects a person till 55 years and sometime throughout the life depending upon the position of Kaal Sarp yoga in the birth chart.
Types of Kaal Sarp Yoga & its effects: Kaal Sarpa Dosha may bring acute painful situations just like a snake-bite. Many astrologers have done research on the scientific applications of astrology and arrived at the conclusion that there are 12 different types of Kaal Sarp Dosha that are formed due to the placement of planets in between Rahu and Ketu or between Ketu and Rahu. Followings are the details of 12 Kaal Sarp Dosha and their effects:
1. Anant Kaal Sarp Dosha: This dosha is formed when Rahu is in the 1st house and Ketu is in the 7th house. The person who comes under the influence of this Yoga suffers from physical and mental problems. The person may get involved in problems related to legal matters, but one of the good things about this yoga is that the person will be brave, courageous, confident, and broad-minded.
2. Kulik Kaal Sarp Dosha: This yoga is formed due to the position of Rahu in the 2nd house and Ketu in the 8th house. The person influenced by this dosha bears huge financial loss, conflicts in the family, etc.
3. Vasuki Kaal Sarp Dosha: This yoga is formed due to the placement of Rahu in the 3rd house and Ketu in the 9th house. A person influenced by this Yoga has to face struggle in his/her day-to-day life and may lose a good relationship with friends or relatives.
4. Shankhpal Kaal Sarp Dosha: When Rahu is positioned in the 4th house and Ketu is in the 10th house then it forms the Shankhpal Kalsarpa Yoga. The person may face economic issues and unexpected problems in life.
5. Padma Kaal Sarp Dosha: This yoga is formed due to the position of Rahu in the fifth house and Ketu in the 11th house. Due to the influence of this Yoga, the person may face difficulties in parenthood, health disorder, higher education, etc.
6. Maha Padma Kaal Sarp Dosha: The placement of Rahu in the 6th house and Ketu in the 12th house creates Mahapadma Kalsarpa Yoga. The person may face many physical as well as mental problems.
7. Takshak Kaal Sarp Dosha: The position of Takshak Kalsarpa yoga is just the opposite of the Anant Kalsarpa Yoga. This yoga is formed when Ketu is placed in the ascendant and Rahu is in the 7th house. As a result, a person may face conflicts in married life, love matters, and business.
8. Karkotak Kaal Sarp Dosha: If Ketu is positioned in the 2nd house and Rahu is in the 8th house, it forms the Karkotak Kaal Sarp dosh. This dosha brings bad luck to a person and issues in personal and professional life.
9. Shankhchooda Kaal Sarp Dosha: When Ketu is placed in the 3rd house and Rahu is in the 9th house then it creates Shakhchooda Kalsarpa Yoga. The person who comes under the influence of this Yoga, may not get love and affection from his father and may also make losses in the business.
10. Ghatak Kaal Sarp Dosha: When Ketu is positioned in the 4th house and Rahu is in the 10th house, Ghatak Kalsarpa Yoga is formed. This yoga creates conflicts within the family.
11. Vishdhar Kaal Sarp Dosha: When Ketu is in the 5th house and Rahu is in the 11th house then it creates Vishdhar Kalsarpa Yoga. Due to the influence of this Yoga, the native may face problems related to eyes, heart, and poor cognitive function.
12. Sheshnag Kaal Sarp Dosha: When Ketu is in 6th house and Rahu in the 12th house then it creates Sheshnag Kalsarpa Yoga. Due to the influence of this yoga, the person may invite many enemies and may get mental stress because of unnecessary legal matters.
Kaal Sarp Dosha Remedies: Often people get disturbed when they come to know about Sadesati and Kaal Sarp Dosha. Though the effect of Kaal Sarp Dosh is dangerous, one needs to show courage as well to consult an astrologer for its remedy. Contemporary astrology has provided several remedies to reduce the bad effects of Kaal Sarp Yoga. They are:
• Offer Prayers to Snake Gods - A person under the influence of Kaal Sarp Dosha should offer prayers to Nagaraja every Sunday and particularly on the Panchami Tithi.
• Chant ‘Om Namah Shivaya’- One of the best effective remedies for Kaal Sarp Dosha is to chant the Panchakshara Mantra “Om Namah Shivaya” in the morning atleast 108 times.
• Visit a Holy Place- The person should visit a holy place, such as Rameshwaram Temple in Tamil Nadu, the Mahakaleshwar in Ujjain, Trimbakeshwar in Nashik to worship Lord Shiva and to alleviate the negative effects of this Dosha.
• Chant Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra- 108 times a day is the simplest way to reduce the adverse effects of this Dosha.
• Chant Beej Mantra of Rahu- Every day morning chant the Beej Mantra of Rahu. It will surely reduce the bad effects of Rahu as well.
• Kaal Sarp Dosh Nivaran Puja- Perform Kaal Sarp Dosha Puja to reduce or nullify the bad effect of this Dosha. A person needs to perform this puja in temples dedicated to Lord Shiva, especially Kalahasti and Trimbakeshwar temples.