Vaastu literally means “science of architecture", is a traditional Indian system of architecture which originated from Vedas and believed to be more than ten thousand years old. Indian ancient Yogis, through their austerity, penance, and meditation, received all answers to their questions from the cosmic mind itself and incorporated these divine pieces of knowledge into Vedas. The art of Vaastu is mentioned in the "SATPATYA VEDA", which is a part of the Atharva Veda.
Proof of Vaastu shastra can be found in the holy epics like Ramayana and Mahabharat which clearly elaborates the art of building houses, temples, palaces, and cities. As per the historical books, the application of Vaastushartra can be found in the cities of Mohenjo-Daro and Harappa which are believed to be 2500 to 3000 years old. There are many interesting stories concerning the origin of Vastupurush in Indian mythology.
Vaastu Dosha: Vaastu Shastra are ancient Sanskrit manuals of architecture based on a certain set of principles and any kind of non-compliance of the same in respect to the plot or the built structure is termed as a “Vaastu Dosh”. Dosh broadly translates into the word “fault”. However, Vaastu Dosh means an imbalance of the energies in the house. Every house is full of energy and if the construction of rooms and placement of objects in the house are not as per the energy of the house then it creates Vaastu dosh in the house. It is believed that a Vaastu compliant house brings health, wealth, blissful matrimonial alliance, professional success, and knowledge. While a house with Vaastu Dosh can harm immensely.
Few examples of Vaastu Dosh and how it happens:
• A puja room in the NorthEast corner of the house is Vaastu friendly while a puja room in the Southwest corner is a Vaastu Dosh.
• The master bedroom should be in the Southwest corner of the house and if it is in the Northwest, then it is a Vaastu Dosh.
• Buying an irregular shaped plot is also a Vaastu dosh.
Types of Vaastu Dosh: There are several types of Vaastu Dosh mentioned in our ancient textbooks. But the followings are a few important ones, which are mainly what we see in our day-to-day life. These are:
1. Residential Vaastu
• Vaastu for Bedroom, Kitchen, Drawing room, Livingroom, Dining Room, Puja Room, Children room, study room, guest room, Bathroom, Basement, locker room, servant room, storeroom.
• Vaastu for doors, windows, balcony, staircase, overhead tank, septic Tank, swimming pool, Entrance Gate, Underground tank, Borewell.
• Vaastu for Exterior, Interior, colors for Home, lights, Construction, and Renovation.
2. Commercial Vaastu
• Vaastu for office, for the shop, business, commercial complex, multistory building, institution, school, hostel, clinic, hospital, chemist shop, restaurant, hotel, marriage hall, Vaastu for banks, movie hall, multiplex, malls.
3. Industrial Vaastu
• Vaastu for Industrial Plot, Vaastu for Industry, Vaastu for Factory.
4. Vaastu In Daily Life
• Vaastu for Career, Health, Wealth, Business development, student, marriage, happy married Life, happiness, sleeping, Vaastu for making food, vaastu for Yoga, meditation, peace of Mind, vaastu for ceasing accidents, trees and plants.
5. Spiritual Vaastu
• Vaastu for temples, astrology, new construction, house warming, Vaastu Shanti, Dharamshala, spiritual institutions.
Effects of Vaastu Dosha: As per the experts, the effects of Vaastu dosha may differ from case to case and the below-mentioned effects do not prove to be correct in every case. It is also incorrect to conclude just by seeing a portion of the house or building. The below mentioned Vaastu dosha effects are outcomes from common reading, hence it always does not prove to be the law.
• Effects of North East Vaastu dosha - Family Dispute, Business Dispute, Divorce case, Children Behavior, Frequent Surgery, Accidents, Expenditures, uncurable diseases, Blockage of funds, legal disputes, rejection of business orders, etc.
• Effects of Southwest Vaastu dosha - Delayed Marriage, heavy expenditure, bad habits, theft/loss of money, relationship issues between husband and wife, etc.
• Effects of South East Vaastu dosha - Fear of theft, fear of fire, health problems, no auspicious events in the house, no peace of mind for ladies.
• Effects of North West Vaastu dosha - Enmity, legal problems, legal problems from government, disharmony with friends and relatives.
In addition to the above directional dosha, the followings are some other serious Vaastu defects, as follows: Obstruction in front of the main gate, House facing the T-junction, a kitchen under the bedroom, cooking stove and water tank in the same row, hanging beam on the ceiling, Mirror in front of a bed, and three doors in a row.
Remedies for Vaastu Dosha: Vaastu as the science of architecture is a promise for happiness and prosperity. But when it comes to the urban cities where homes and buildings are constructed mostly without Vaastu concepts, having perfect Vaastu in construction is almost impossible. But, if we cannot change the exterior, we must focus on interiors to counterbalance the negative elements. Every Vaastu dosh has one or more remedy measures and if followed properly it will bring peace and prosperity to one’s life. Some of the important remedies to remove Vaastu dosha from a place are:
• Ganesh Pooja, Navagrah Shanti and Pooja of Vaastu Purush
• Do Rudra puja on every Monday and Amavasya (New Moon Day)
• Put all these items in a red cloth: Vaastu Purush idol, Nag (snake) made of silver, copper wire, pearl, red coral. And then keep in the east direction of your house.
• Recite "Vishnu Sahasranaam" everyday morning after bath, facing northeast or East direction.
• Poster of crying girl, war scene, sexy scenes, angry man, and the owl are considered inauspicious. One should replace it with some Vaastu friendly images or posters.
• In kitchen areas, place all heavy items such as grinder, fridge, and other items towards the west or the southern wall of the kitchen.
• If you see an empty or bare wall while entering your house/office then replace it with a statue of Lord Ganesh or with a Shri Yantra.
Summary: According to a famous quote – “A house turns into a loveable home when it radiates the right kind of energy”. A person dwelling in a house comes under the influence of specific energy and thus the science of architecture known as Vaastu, and the remedies of Vaastu dosha play an important role to balance these energies. Numerous temples and buildings are standing tall for more than 1000 years because of the proper Vaastu. So, it is always good to consult a Vaastu expert before starting construction or entering into a new house/building.