Located on the forehead between the two eyebrows, it includes our eyes and pineal organs. The Third Eye Chakra is a site of clairvoyance, intuition, vision, memory, and innovation. Its color is indigo, and its bija or seed mantra is 'Sham' or 'Aum'. The Sanskrit word for the Third Eye Chakra is Ajna. The base element is light, and the Hindu God associated with the sixth Chakra is Ardhanarishvara, an androgynous form of Lord Shiva and Parvati.
Unlike the first five Chakras, present in a world of senses, the sixth Chakra helps us in embarking into the world of duality due to its transcendent quality. The five Chakras concentrate on Ida and Pingala Nadis, but they conclude in the nostrils. In the Sixth Chakra, our eyes act as the Ida and Pingala, and our third eye is the Shushmna Nadi, which connects all the seven Chakras. Our physical eyes correspond to the Sun and the Moon, and the third eye to fire. The openness of the Third Eye Chakra provides us with an inner consciousness that functions as a little voice from our head.
Benefits of having a balanced Third Eye Chakra: There are many benefits of having an open and energized sixth Chakra. Its openness is akin to a blooming lotus. The Third Chakra is a powerful channel that can nourish our spirit. With a balanced Chakra, your decision-making skills improve, and you would be able to remove yourselves from problematic conditions without any difficulties. It also enhances our insight, intuition, creative mind, and instinct. The Third Eye Chakra is popularly known for its ability to transcend a person by providing him or her with an inner knowledge of things. It has connections to telepathy, meaningful coincidence, and synchronistic occurrence of events. One can attain the consciousness of the Third Eye Chakra by maintaining a disciplined lifestyle that primarily focuses on leading a life of austerity.
Overactive / Underactive Third Eye Chakra: When a Chakra is excessively open or blocked, there can be numerous physical, psychological, and emotional issues. An overactive sixth Chakra can cause difficulty in thinking, bad dreams, challenges in concentrating, cerebral pains, and mental trips. A blocked Third Eye Chakra could lead to
• poor memory,
• eyesight issues,
• makes a person reluctant,
• effects our ability to focus
• impact on our creative minds due to strain
There are other issues associated with our Third Eye Chakra imbalances such as insomnia, sciatica, anxiety, migraine, depression, high circulatory strain, blindness, blurred vision, headaches, hallucinations, and eyestrains. It could also lead to memory loss and related problems.
How to overcome the imbalances of Third Eye Chakra?: Healing our Chakras is crucial for leading a healthy physical and mental life. When our Chakras are blocked, there is a hindrance in the energy flow, which can adversely impact our well-being. The Chanting of the bija mantra, AUM or Sham, and the affirmation 'I follow the path of truth' is beneficial in mending our sixth Chakra. Having a proper diet, drinking clean water, and living in a toxin-free environment are also important.
Different measures are adaptable to restore concordance in our Third Eye Chakra. Reiki, sound healing, needle treatment, weight point rub, light therapy, yoga, exercises, meditation, aromatherapy, and crystal healing practices. Let us look into some of the methods that one can incorporate into their routine to enhance the health of their Third Eye Chakra.
1. Eye Exercises - Eyes play a vital role in the Third Eye Chakra. Taking good care of our eyes can enhance the health of our sixth Chakra. By including yoga eye exercise into your routine, you can strengthen the cones of your eyes and also stimulate your brain. You have to sit straight and then look to the right and then to the left side. Next, you have to view to your sides, then, between your eyebrows, and look down to your chin. You have to gaze at your nose for twenty to thirty seconds. Next, you have to rub your hands and place them on your eyes. You can consider massaging them, and after a while, you can open your eyes. Always try to spend two to three minutes a day for this exercise.
2. Yoga - Apart from eye-based exercises, you can also include different asanas and pranayamas for improving the quality of your sixth Chakra. Try to focus on your breathing while engaging in yoga asanas. Some of the asanas that can aid in healing your Third Eye Chakra are-
• Shoulder Stand or Sarvangasana
• Child's Pose or Balasana
• Alternative Nostril Breathing or Nadi Shodhana
• Bee Breath or Bhrasmari
• Eagle Pose or Garudasana
• Dolphin Pose or Ardha Pincha Mayurasana
3. Chakra Balancing ritual services: Invoking the presiding deities of the third eye chakra helps balance this chakra. For details see this link: https://pujayagna.com/products/third-eye-ajna-chakra-pooja-homa
4. Meditation - It is a practice that can bring awareness to your thoughts, words, and actions. It can improve your focus, as well. Meditation plays a significant role in healing your Third Eye Chakra. You can begin by sitting comfortably and also close your eyes. You have to bring awareness to between your eyebrows on the Third Eye. Always take deep belly breaths while meditating. You have to think about your higher self, and you have to welcome it. You may think about different memories in various stages of your life, beginning with your first memory. You may return to your present and focus on your challenges. Your higher self can provide you with a voice that can guide you to overcome your problems. Always seal your meditation by chanting the bija mantra thrice. You may open your eyes after some time.
5. Light Therapy - Sun is the best source for engaging in such a therapeutic practice. You have to stare at the Sun with your eyes closed, then move your eyes in circular, clockwise and anticlockwise, direction with your eyes closed. Try to include this into your routine for ten minutes a day.
There are other practices, as well. You can apply the cleansing oils of Marjoram, Frankincense, Juniper, Rosemary, and Sandalwood. Crystal healing practices by using stones like Amethyst, Lapiz Lazuli, Purple Plourite, Moonstone, and Quartz. Diet is yet another factor. Try to include plums, blueberries, cabbage, eggplant, poppy seed, and lavender zest into your diet. The openness and balanced existence of the Third Eye Chakra can enhance your creative mind, perception, and intuition. It is essential to continue your journey to merge with the infinite consciousness of the Brahman.